SisterFit’s Food Musings.

Subtitle: This week’s semi-anonymous 100% blog-free guest chef is none other than MizFit’s sister.

The MizFit’s runnercookerbabymamaEXTRAORDINAIRE sister who hath been dragged here because the recipe below *always* garners praise and needed to be shared (again) with the masses.

I give you Sisterfit (smattering of applause):

I love this dish — using instant brown rice and creamy Neufchatel cheese makes an easy and fancy “mock risotto.” Substitute any vegetables you wish for the asparagus, bell pepper and mushroom or just add more. I like it as a meal and add lots of vegetables.

It’s originally from Eating Well (MizFit note: Ok, I had to look up the fact that Eating Well is a magazine. Im woman enough to admit it and nice enough to share the info and spare you the search…or did you already know?) and I added the mushrooms, tomatoes and lemon juice — and omitted grated cheese that should be incorporated into the mixture. I also don’t add the garlic or the scallions!

Who am I you asked?

Working mother of one — I love having a dish that can be made ahead and be reheated fast. [i like sunsets, soft music and walking on the beach -- hee hee]
Makes 4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each
ACTIVE TIME: 40 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes
EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 carton sliced mushrooms (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups instant brown rice
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 1/2 cups vegetable or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)

Grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese for garnish
1/2 cup Chopped tomatoes or scallions/chives (garnish)
Lemon Juice squeezed on top to taste.

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and salt and begin cooking — add in mushrooms. Cook until mushroom soften, and onions are just beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes.

2. Add rice and garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.

3. Add broth and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.

4. Remove cover and spread asparagus and bell pepper on top of the simmering rice—do not stir into the rice mixture. Replace cover and continue simmering, adjusting the heat if necessary, until the liquid is almost absorbed and the asparagus is bright green but still crisp, about 5 minutes.

5. Add peas and cream cheese; stir until the mixture is creamy and the cheese is incorporated. Return to a simmer and continue cooking until the liquid has evaporated and the asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes more.

6. Serve topped with chives (or scallions) or tomatoes and grated Parmesan Cheese.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 352 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrate; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 665 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Vitamin A (70% dv), Folate (29% dv).

THANK YOU, SisterFriend, for making time for the Bumbling Band!

(Yada Yada Yahoo! Im guest posting over here today.)

Comments

Wow, what a great idea for turning risotto from a fat bomb into a guiltless treat! I loooove risotto, but my body doesn’t love the mass quantities of butter so much. I bet you could use this technique to healthify any risotto. Thanks for sharing sista mizfit!

I adore the Sisterfit :) This risotto sounds delicious! It’s exactly my kind of meal. And thanks HEAPS for the nutritional info, I love knowing that stuff.

Ooo-la-la! I’m tryin!

(“try” being the key word because my kitchen skills suck wind at random…apologies to my greedy family who must consume sporadic train wrecks of a meal)

….but I think I can do this one! Ahhhh.

4. Allie says

Is it weird Im so jealous of you two being sisters??

Id love a video of the two of you talking fitness and motherhood!!!

5. Allie says

oh and I really enjoyed your yahoo post.
    I don’t have kids yet so I didn’t comment but I teach summer camp.

how awesome that she did a guest post! Sounds like a great recipe! When is tornado going to guest post ;)

7. Miz says

OOOOOH I LOVE THE IDEA OF A VIDEO WITH SISTERFIT!!

and the Tornado.

Erica? that may be next week.

and you KNOW Im trying to get my gym-going parents to post up in herre.

Thanks for the recipe. I would like a video of the 2 of also.

Read your post at Shine. Loved it too. I hope I can influence my grandchildren that way also. Practice what you preach fits so many things, doesn’t it?

Thank you for sharing your victory with me. It’s never as bad as you (me) make in our head. Thanks for the reminder. My Dad used to say, “will it kill you? Then don’t sweat it.” Easy for him to say.

Thanks for all your great posts and especially your comments to me. How do you find the time?

9. Kathy says

I second the where do you find the time?

You’re our Fitness Guidance Counselor…but who’s pay ya?

Seriously, where are your ads?
    You need some ads!!!

Thanks for the recipie! May have to try it, but sans mushrooms (hubby, regretfully, hates them) and subbing for the asparagus (again, darn the hubby!!).

Yes, how do you find the time? Do you have a time machine? Share?

Now I know Miz’ eyes started to roll back in her head after 4 ingredients…LOL. This looks yummy, but I’d have to add some protein to balance out all those carbs (thinking zone friendly!)

Does sisterfit have tats? Have looked at the twitpics and wondered how long the one leg is going to go unshaven…

: )

Thank you for the comment. It’s true about our muscles but I will use this as a reminder that I just shouldn’t put so much time between exercise :)!

13. Miz says

oh Marianne you KNOW I’m so bummed about the legshaving ;)
    It’s gonna be 94 today and I’m dark haired.

(Nuff said)

The artist said a week….but also to be sure I’d healed & wasn’t shaving scabs (ick I know but you can’t see them) off.

YadaYadaYada after all the time getting it done I waiting 2.

Good thing Ren Man is traveling.

I hear that leg hair during the winter is what helps hold the socks up.

Great recipe, printing out for week-end use.

Thanks for dragging out SisterMiz. :)

15. Meredith says

There’s a SisterFit?

Do you two live by each other?

I chime in for a video too.

16. Lynne says

I printed this out but would adore (hinthint) a video of sisterfit making it!!

;)

We are all demand this morning, huh Miz?

• MizFit says

you know a video would be FUN and we are spending mothers day together….now to teach the Toddler to film.

Hmmm, omit the mushrooms and the asparagus, and I think I could go for some of this. Maybe I could use green beans instead? Those being the only cooked veggie I like.
    {copy/paste recipe into file. Save.}

Love the receipe. I have always wanted to try and make risotto at home – but didn’t because a) I was scared of messing it up and b) it seemed like such an unhealthy dish. However, with this version it can be simple, healthy and delicious. The hubby and I are making dinner on Saturday night for my mother and grandmother – I think I’ve just found our sidedish. :-)

19. Hilary says

Where’s our tattoo video??

I love easy & fast & healthy.

Thanks SisterFit!

I’ve never tasted risotto. I don’t even think I’ve ever seen it on a restaurant menu.

And sadly, I’ll have to pass up this recipe, too.

But cool that you get SisterFit guest posting.

This does look easy! Esp. if I just use my frozen veggies, as I am wont to do. And then try really hard not to make and consume by the fingerful a mini-batch of cream cheese frosting with the leftover neufchatel.

Guest post with the sisterfit! yes. I love the fact that one of you gets recipes from Eating Well, the other has to google it. ;)

oooh – I loves asparagus! and I love the SisterFit guest post. I second Erica – would love a Tornado Guest Post. :-)

That sounds really tasty!!! I love sisters. My sis is my best friend – we’re all gettin’ together for mother’s day too. Have fun!

24. Dani says

I’m jealous of the sisterthing.
    Mine live far away.
    BUT I am going to make this on mother’s day—for me!!

25. Miz says

alas SisterFit is having a hard day or she’d be by.
    I think the Tornado & I may need to whirl past her domicile and see what’s shakin!

26. MizFit says

I laugh that the parents caved today as well. They arent frequent readers (which, in the case of my tattoos mightcould be a good thing :)) but said they’d guest post on seniors and exercise.

They didnt workout much EVER when I was growing up so Im anxious to hear what they have to say as well!

Hey hey SisterFit. Sounds delish, thanks for sharing. A sistervid would be much loved by me, being of the sisterbestfriend type too.

Miz I loved the post on kids and exercise, printing out now for future reference for future spawn.