Please to forgive me.
To know MizFit is to be painfully aware I’m not the greenest of bloggers.
I recycle, I reuse, I walk whenever possible, I bring cloth bags to the grocery when I remember, & I’m working to teaching the Tornado all about loving Mother Earth as well (Hello, The Lorax! So sorry you’re not on my leg.).
I do stumble greatly, however, as evidenced by the fact I still purchase more than my fair share of individually packaged snacks for the Ren Man & the Tornado among myriad other violations I’m certain.
In honor of Earth Day tomorrow I want to brainstorm a little.
Both green & non.
Me? I’ll handle the non. (that’s your cue to handle the green.)
I figured Id start a list of ways to save money (some of which are almostgreen!) in this less than certain economy & you could chime in with your saving-ideas or toss some green thoughts our way instead.
I give you MizFit’s When Is This Economy Gonna Turn ‘Round Tips for Maximizing Our Spending Dollars:(W.I.T.E.G.T.R.T.M.O.S.D. for short):
- Before you go grocery shopping check your store’s homepage for sales & plan meals accordingly. I just started doing this and have been amazed at the money Ive saved by being prepared before I hit the H.E.B. With the Tornado in tow I tended to grab things willynilly (the technical term) & planning ahead has really helped save money.
- Snip off the end of your toothpaste tube and s-q-u-e-e-z-e out more when it appears to be all gone. Do I really do this? Yes, sadly I do.
- Fruits & veggies: when in doubt check the P(rice) L(ook) U(p) code! 5 digit # start with a 9? Usually organic. 4 digit number start with a 3 or 4? Typically conventionally grown. 5 digit number with an 8 at the front? Usually means genetically modified
- Free pet treats (ruff, errr, ’nuff said).
- Buy in bulk from a warehouse club is an obvious tip. If you are like we are and not a big family it also helps to organize a neighborhood/friend group to buy stuff & split! Ive found this works really well with places like Oriental Trading company, too. 99 times out of 100 I r-e-a-l-l-y dont ‘need’ a dozen cardboard guitars for the Tornado to color—but I can round up a few friends who wish to guitarcolor too.
- Find free phone. Im a Skype user–you? Anyone ever tried Gizmo Call? I have friends who rave about it and, like Skype, it’s free from your computer.
- I tweeted this a few weeks ago but it’s a Little Known Frugal MizFit Fact which bears repeating: I never spend money on perfume. I love magazines (hello stationary bike treat!) & before I dress I merely snag a scented insert & swipe across my bod. This is definitely a ‘consider the source’ tip, but one that has saved me a *lot* of money over the years.
- Sometimes you need to spend. Big. Certain things arent worth skimping on. Take my word for the fact that the “almost George Forman-like” store brand grill isnt worth the little you will spend on it as you’ll end up buying the real thing soon thereafter anyway. I was fortunate enough to win a Vita-Mix Blender & that machine is pricey but AMAZING. The money I’ve saved by making my own meals/smoothies at home makes it, in my opinion, well worth the price of blendmission.
- Keep your eyes peeled for neighborhood freebies. Kids Eat Free!times at restaurants & random other gives around your ‘hoods.
- Free coffee tomorrow. In honor of Earth Day, my Starbucks is giving away free coffee (hot & iced. plain.) to those of us who tote our own cups. The barista said it was a nationwide event. I can neither confirm nor deny.
- Word on the street is that there will again be FREE SLURPEES on 7.11 *at* 7.11’s.
- Baskin-Robbins is hosting a 31 cent scoop night on 4.28 from 5-10p
- And, if youre me, you spend far too much time trolling these forums already (to the shock & awe of your husband who adores all the free treats youve discovered there.)
That’s about all Ive got (baring a semi-inappropriate & rather adult freebie upon which I stumbled in my searches).
How do you plan to celebrate Earth Day 2010?
How are you saving money in these tightening EVERYTHING times?
Any thoughts on Payless going GREEN (but mass producing aforementioned greenery in China)?
What top 3 tips can you lob my way in an effort to green things up around here?
Please to hit us all up in the comments.