(our freak flags pointing, errr, flying)
We like Shrek the movie(s).
We LOVE Shrek the Musical.
It’s cute. It’s filled with catchy tunes. It’s a show all three of us adored which isnt always the case.
The Tornado & I share the same favorite song.
And, the first time we saw the musical, she leaped to her feet & sang & danced & shrieked with wild abandon.
And it freaked me out a bit (upcoming pun not really intended)
The song? LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY.
Apparently I truly am a misfit guttermind as the song initially made me think FREAKY as in kinky as in, well, you know where my mind went. If you’ve never heard the song I do recommend watching.
As we exited the theater, both of us singing about our FREAK FLAGS, I stopped to ponder what on earth a FREAK FLAG really is.
The longer I ruminated the more it dawned upon me the concept of FREAK FLAG may best be defined by what it is not:
- It is not “in your face” merely for the sake of being IN!YOUR!FACE! Ahh we have all done this. Perhaps only in our youth–but those action or actionS intended to shock, horrify and annoy. Many people, even though Im the ripe old age of 42, still assume my TATTOOS are this. They’re not. Which leads me to…
- Your Freak Flag is NOT necessarily how you look. Once upon a time I met a woman who appeared, to my judgmental eye, exactly as I imagined Stepford Wives to look. I assumed she’d be boring, mundane & we’d have nothing in common.
Holycrapballs was I wrong. She & I became closeclose friends & I quickly learned her Freak Flag made mine look like the tiny flags suck in club sandwiches. Your Freak Flag is not connected to your exterior.
- Rebelling. Unfurling and flying that Freak Flag HIGH has absolutely, entirely nothing to do with angst or rebellion. Period.
So what in the heck is this Freak Flag of which I yammer?
To me it symbolizes:
- Feeling good about and completely at peace with who you are. It’s being Unapologetically Yourself whether that be a tech geek or a member of the marching band. It’s that sense of feeling wholly comfortable in your own skin which emanates from within. It is KNOWING you are enough precisely as you are.
- It’s being transparent. It’s living authentically, without hesitation or fear and letting others see who you are and what you are about. It is PRIDE in your authentic self. And waving that authenticity for all to see.
- A reminder NOT to judge other people—but also NOT to judge yourself harshly either.
Why do I even bring this FREAKY-concept up on a healthy living blog?
Because flying your freak flag allows you to fulfill your life’s purpose and relax into who you are meant to be.
Because it’s amazing, when we do the work to discover who we are really are and are fully honest with ourselves, all things (including health fitness and weight loss) finally click into place.
**leaps off her soapbox taking her pointy packpack with her**
As a thank you for indulging my FREAK FLAG musings (am I alone in finding this all fascinating? am I alone in LOVING Shrek the Musical?!) I have a treat for you.
Some might call it an attempt to drag you into our quirky misfit family but I would call them liars, errr, wrong!
No FTC disclaimer—just a sharing of our QUIRKY love and a way the Child and I have chosen to physically wave our INTERNAL freak flagnessment.
You may be entered to win a lime green pointy packpack (like the mine in the photo above) for the lowlow cost of a comment below.
Have you unfurled your Freak Flag yet? How?
And if you have NOT—-what’s holding you back?
USA and Canada
winner announced 10.10.11