Miz, I want to buy a skirt and give it away anonymously. On your blog. It’s the notion of paying a favor not back, but forward. I do this monthly as it supports my spirituality/who I am and watching the momentum it sparks is amazing. I believe in your MizFit angel network.
I received this email the day I announced my Miz skirts were for sale (links added by me).
My initial reaction was to implore the emailer to share her name.
It’s not I believe it’s important to take ‘credit’ (in Judaism one of the highest forms of mitzvah is anonymous giving) I just thought it such a cool idea I wanted to share the source.
Our emailer declined & said she cared NOT how I conduct the giveaway. ..what I did for the giveaway…but really wanted anonymity.
And, given her choice of MizFit Angel network wording, I immediately knew what I’d do.
And I penned a post which I choose to preempt when Hurricane Sandy happened.
A post about RAOK & how small acts spark bigger movements ala the MizFit Angel Network reference in our GENEROUS emailer’s missive.
A post encouraging you to do an act of good. Any act—BIG like skirt giving or small like a smile—which would spontaneously brighten another person’s day.
I almost changed the post for today—but decided not to as our world–in my opinion–is always in need of a little extra loving kindness.
Drawing a blank for your pay-it-forward gesture?
We tend to git
weird misfit’y with our actions—so here are a few of our more staid ideas:
- Use manners as a form of kindness. Please. Thank you. Hold the door open for a stranger. Done!
- Stop a stranger on the street & give a genuine compliment and a smile (<—one of our faves).
- Clean out your toy room/bring gently used toys to fire/police station so they have extras on truck in case they encounter a frightened child.
- Bring coupons to the grocery & leave the ones you dont use TAPED to the item for the next shopper (<—another one we love).
- Forgive someone. Let go of past wrongs and, in essence, choose to kill the person with kindness instead.
- Launch A PRO-ANYTHING campaign on a social media platform (blog, twitter, instagram, pinterest etc). For example, anti-BULLYING is a great message, but PRO-KINDNESS might be even better? Pro-positivity.
Another example: not ANTI our healthy living TROLL but PRO everyone else.
Not yet sold on spending your little leisure time PAYING IT FORWARD?
Need to know there’s a little fitness-payback in the deal for YOU?
Acting in a kind/giving fashion can:
- Contribute to good health & diminish the effect of diseases psychological and physical.
- Spark the “helper’s high.” (The rush of euphoria, followed by long period of calm, after performing a kind act. This ‘helper’s high’ triggers the release of endorphins.)
- Lessen feelings of depression/decrease feelings of isolation that can cause stress, overeating, & ulcers.
- Create feelings of joyfulness and vigor (woo-hoo! Im all about the vim & vigor).
- Decrease intensity/awareness of physical pain.
Serve as an amazing distraction from the fact Thanksgiving is merely a week away (!)
You can be entered to win a MizFit workout skirt (men, they make great gifts!) for the low low cost of a comment below.
What act of kindness will you do this week to pay-it-forward?
winner announced 11.21.12 USA and CANADA only