The power of a personal mantra.

20121021 133334 300x225 The power of a personal mantra.

And it’s not that hard after all.

It’s the holiday season.

It’s misfit moving season.

Im doing ok.

Im actually—dare I say it type it out loud—doing pretty damn great.

I credit 93.7 % of that to my person mantra.

You may think me crazy should you spy me muttering to myself on the street—but I reassure you Im not (any more than usual anyway).

Im chanting.

Im harnessing the power of the mantra.

Im over at Life…Supplemented today sharing my mantra and chatting about how/why I believe it works.

• Do you have a personal mantra?
  • If you do: do you find you’re leaning extra hard on it these days, too?

Comments

I’m not a big mantra kind of gal usually Miz… but I just came up with one all by myself! Well, it may not be a mantra and it was actually just a comment on a blog post… but…

Rebecca from Weight Wars was talking about self-acceptance and fat-shaming. I’d also just read Skinny Emmie’s latest posts as well as Kenlie’s from All the Weigh.

My comment was that…I’m a work in progress.

I said: I’m not saying I’m perfect, just okay.

Could be my new mantra. “I’m OKAY.”

2. Tina says

I liked how you said it should be a phrase we use.
    I’ve trued this before, but my mantras were too airy fairly I think and nothing I’d ever say.

Good tip.

I think personal mantras are huge. It’s a daily, hourly, just constant reminder to ourselves about what’s important. My personal mantra is “just breathe” – it gets me through the good, the bad and the ugly and will soon be a permanent reminder on my body! :)

Some days we’re the windshield, other days we’re the bug.

I believe everything we go through in life is meant to strengthen us.

You are going through a big change and I know you’ll come out stronger on the other side of it!

I don’t have an actual mantra, but my frame of mind these days is to focus on the positive. I can easily let things bring me down, but these days, I focus on the positive and learn to work through the bad to make it, at the very least, better.

Well, as you know I have already read & shared the other day when I saw this – loved the post Carla.. I really think I need to do this… it does sound like a very helpful way to center oneself!!!!

It is long but I am still thinking about “55 is the first day of the rest of my life”. :)

Excellent suggestion, and one I used to think was too silly. But it’s amazing how simple-minded my brain is, and finding the right phrases that resonate can calm me right down when I’d otherwise freak.

I’m like you, I need to tweak and change over time, and I have different ones for different situations. Over time they come up automatically and I don’t even have to consciously invoke them.

“It’s all good” is one of the few I’d be willing to share, but don’t get me started on the background, implications, and all that it represents to me or it’ll be a 50,000 word comment.

I use mantras while running (mind over miles, I can do anything for XX minutes, forward momentum) but not really in other parts of my life. I think my brain can’t remember anything else, lol!

I used to have a mantra – back when I was just getting started as a writer I used it to give me confidence and keep me moving forward. Boy, did it work!

I think it’s time for a new mantra… thanks for the inspiration, Carla!

Keep a good attitude
    Act with love
    React with forgiveness
    Motive check
    Always be grateful

Sometimes i just breath and say the one i need most.

Thanks for this. I’ve been using some mantras and looking for something that really clicks. I like your tips a lot. Especially the first one actually. It’s gotta be something I would actually say. Yes.

When I recognize I’m getting frazzled…over the past while I’ve learned to stop, take a deep breath and focus on my breath out and say “You’ve got this”. It seems to be what I need to keep going.

What a great mantra.
    I don’t use those words, but since I started a yoga practice, I do find myself comparing temporary difficulties to yoga — discomfort is tough but temporary…

“it’s just a hard pose” indeed!

14. Cheryl says

Pull back to get your arms straight and your heart in line with it-then put your leg (either one!) straight up for a new challenge! It’s FUN!

15. Cheryl says

Link to photo doesn’t work…oh well.
    And really and mantra is not to be shared or even talked about.

Try having to go back to work 6 weeks after giving birth to a baby- that’s stress. Being at home with one is not. My opinion as I lived it.