Im STREET STRIDING into spring!

photo62 300x273 Im STREET STRIDING into spring!

this is NOT a real ad…YET!!

If you listened closely on Saturday night you mightcould have heard a loud SCREAM of YEEEEEE HAW!!!

From the moment we moved to Oakland I commenced a count down to March 10th when we’d spring forward and the days would get longer.

I didnt rock the darker nights in the ATX, but when it was dark nights & still flip-flop warm outside I rocked them harder.  Better.  Happier.

There’s another reason I adore the  springing forward.

A unique to our misfit trio reason:

we seize the loss of an hour to CHOOSE TO LOSE a habit which no longer works for us.

Allow me to explain.

No one adores the initial loss of an hour of sleep—right?

We’ve found a silvermisfit lining:

The way our tradition works is you must are lovingly encouraged to pick a habit you’d wanted to change *anyway* & jettison it with the loss of the hour.

You consider if you had one less hour every.single.day., identify what habit is just not working for you/is a time-waster & commit to at least TRYING to eliminate it.

This year for me it was the constant whining about how I loathe cardio.

I do loathe it.  I whine about it five times a week (and yet I still do it.  TIME WASTING alert!!) It’s time to move on & try AGAIN to see if there’s cardio I would do and enjoy.

The constant lamenting (<—–NEGATIVITY alert!!) is not working for me any longer.  It’s time to lose that habit.

Enter this:

rsz photo50 300x225 Im STREET STRIDING into spring!

purchasing helmet & sticker already made me smile!

And enter my AMAZING opportunity to test out a Street Strider Summit 8r (and a reigniting of my belief in my vision board)

Why do I think STRIDE’ing into spring will change my cardio-loathing?

• It’s the best PLAYout ever! Seriously. Tell me you can even glance at the image above without KNOWING laughter ensues? I can be serious about the iron—but it’s MANDATORY my cardio is PLAY.
  • Unlike ME it dominates hills!  I walk the hills in my new ‘hood.  I cannot imagine RUNNING the hills in my ‘hood.  The Summit 8r Street Strider comes with “Shimano Nexus 8-speed transmission, and with the twist grip shifter” (translation: It be go up hills real nice!).
  • I LONG TO EMULATE PHIL DUNPHY.  LONG (’nuff said.).

This has arrived:

photo59 300x225 Im STREET STRIDING into spring!

Ill be back next month to report if the Summit 8r helped me stick to my Spring Forward No Mo’ Cardio Whining Habit Elimination plan (vlog hilarity shall ensue).

But first you.

• Given one less hour per day—EVERY day–what not working for you/plain ole USELESS habit would you shed?
  • Will you commit to eliminating said habit starting today?

(skips off JOYFULLY to Street Stride her little misfit heart out—SANS WHINING.)

FTC: the Street Strider Summer 8r was free. The loathing of the cardio & joyitude at the springing forward is all mine.

Comments

Theres a couple people in our neighborhood with these! Although I like the concept, the thing takes up the entire running path and they almost run Kay & I over! i know you’ll be a nicer/better rider than that though ;). Hope this turns your dislike of cardio around

2. Tia says

I am a lot like you but I hate weights!!!
    I waste a ton of time procrastinating about doing them.
    I am in to try and stop.
    I am jealous too of the Strider thing!!

3. Olive says

First, if that can’t make you love cardiovascular workouts nothing will.
    I think I saw it on the biggest loser show?
    I am going to try NOT COMPLAINING for twenty four hours.

4. Irene says

Was it hard to learn how to do?
    Or is that the next post? LOL

I must give up my coffee because it is stopping me from sleeping so I lose hours of sleep every night.

• MizFit says

it was hard—until it wasnt. One of those things where for the first few moments I thought: I WILL NEVER GET THIS!! and then it just CLICKED.

5. Rita says

I wanted one after I saw Phil in his Shants riding it.
    Do you think it’s worth the money?

Been curious about those since I saw them like a year ago – I lose track of time. ;) SO COOL!!!! I can’t wait for pics & videos & hearing about all the fun!!!

I actually don’t look at the time change as losing an hour since I just try to adjust with it.. but if I have to lose a useless habit – well, I am not giving up Days of Our Lives! ;)

oh my g! I want to try this (I think SuperFit would too!)!!! I was totally off with my guess! Knowing that you be a MizFit, it had to be something very cool and unique like this :)

So fun!

8. Yvonne says

I would love to lose my loathing of exercise totally.
    I can’t wait for the video of you Striding!

I can totally see you rocking that helmet and street strider!!! Yes I did giggle a bit! I will commit to you, and to my tired of listening husband, to kick the bad habit of whining about my weight/body. It is a bad habit and I need to be thankful for the extra cushion right now since it is left over from having a BEAUTIFUL little baby girl! Ok Carla you’ve put me to task and I’m kickin it! Oh boy!

Yeah, I’ve seen people in the neighborhood on similar riders. I haven’t tried one, but the company said I could go to another city and do it, lol!

The Oakland / San Francisco area is my favorite city in the U.S., and has been for a while, with plenty of good reasons!

OMG Super fun! I am choosing to end my affair with sugar. I’ve been dwindling it down but it needs to be over. There I said it.

If it’s good enough for Phil…

That looks like a ball, actually. You’ll have to do some video for us.

Glad you aren’t doing roller derby!

OMG! OMG! I’m so excited about this!!! But I want to see it in action please ;-) And I kind of love your tradition of jettisoning a bad habit along with the lost hour. Hmmm, it might be procrastination for me? ;-)

Woah!! Did anyone end up guessing correctly? You are so right- you’re in the perfect city for this! Love it!!

I think I would give up an hour of mindless TV and read or get work done instead. I really like this concept. Much better then crying over my hour of lost sleep!

16. Miz says

I think that’s one of the biggest surprised to me. It’s not as wiiiide as it looks. The video shows that more, too.

I am going to eliminate negative self talk. That is a TERRIBLE habit I’ve gotten into. TERRIBLE. So, as of now (8:18 am on 3/11/13), it’s done.

Because I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me! :)

That strider looks like a lot of fun :)
    I’m trying to keep myself away from TV (I lost touch of most shows during grad school) and develop new hobbies and skills. I’d rather be making/doing/living. It’s challenging, but I am definitely enjoying making new things :)

That street strider looks like sooo much fun! (Thanks for posting the link – I was afraid it would be way more expensive – seems fairly reasonable!)

Bad habit to kick – daily happy hour (still happy, just minus the cocktail & snacks!!!) – Not every day, though!

• says

So, I did some more checking. I’m an idiot – the price I saw was just for the stand!!! It’s a little more than I first thought!

oh man that looks like fun! That would be an excellent way to crush cardio in a fun way.

Hmm..my bad habit? I would say not folding the laundry right away. I let it pile up and then have to spend valuable weekend time folding clothes. Not fun!

So somehow I missed that you moved to OAKLAND. Which is only 2 hours away from where I was living practically my whole life. And which greatly increased the chances of me ever meeting your awesomeness. Except that I moved to Southern California at the end of December. FAIL.

Hmmm….this is a tough one. I would love to eliminate worry. Some days I do better than others and today is not that day.

Such a great idea! I too could save some time by not complaining about doing cardio or running. Heck, I’m even starting to like running, so the time is now!

24. Michelle says

You are adorable! Love the ad! It looks like an incredibly fun way to get excercise! I love to be outside so I’d like to learn more!!

How fun! I have always had this on my wish list. I can’t wait to see how you like it.

The one thing that comes to mind is eliminating clutter. It’s weighing heavily on my mind. It would be real healthy to let it all go.

Which habit can I commit to throwing out with the bath water?

Daytime TV.

I’ve seen all the Animal Police and Pitbulls and Parolees already. I really don’t need to stick my butt down in front of the TV during the day to view them again. Instead I can be weeding the gardens, playing ball with dogs, or writing. I can get off my butt and move again.

(I’m blaming a very cold and dark winter with a bad influence on me!)

So no TV before 4 pm. when the TV becomes a substitute for the clock, and the best way to time cooking and other supper-like activities.

I really need to kick the Diet Coke/pop habit! I know that it’s terrible for me and that it is affecting my weight loss.

Hitting my alarm clock to snooze instead of getting up to workout and then lamenting that I dont have time. The new rule is that even if it is only for 10 minutes, I have to do something active and workout related for at least ten minutes before sitting down to my desk to work. And also–it is a good thing I was not drinking any beverage–because this “I LONG TO EMULATE PHIL DUNPHY” made me snort out loud! love it!

So, that is pretty awesome!

I complain about a lot of things…do I have to choose just one? ;) I need to stop comparing myself to others.

That looks like sooo much fun! My old boss used to have a bright green one he rode it everywhere! You will love it!

Great blog, I hated the losing/gaining an hour each year. Now I live in the Southern hemisphere and don’t have to worry about it. Although I have winter creeping up, still it won’t be so hot for my runs!

Hey Carla,

I really love the helmet you got! It looks really cute:). An I never knew that there was a real street elliptical! Now that’s mind blowing for me! I will try this excerise and I will comeback and tell you my results :)

Looks like fun! Lucky gal.

We also rejoice the Spring Forward time change… but, for totally different reasons. :) It starts the hard long days on the farm with planting tilling and machine repair being done from sun up to sun down. For me it means more after dinner walks with the family and that I can start looking forward to Oregon strawberries.

34. Roxanne Jackson says

When I bought my strider back in Aug 2012 it was just a short 5 weeks later & dropped nearly 40 pounds. Using the strider help get rid of several pains from back surgery & fybro that I often experience. Now 6.5 months pregnant riding my strider stationary indoors anxiously awaiting Spring’s true arrival to get back outdoors (doctor approved) to STRIDE through my last trimester. Never did I think the Summit 8r would be a blast- who ever said exercise couldn’t be a blast was wrong..I rode 14 miles daily last fall & plan to work up to riding a marathon next summer! Happy Striding to you all.
    P.s ~ It was def.one of the best healthy investments I have made so far. Thank you Street Strider! (Berlin, NH)