Do *anywhere* speed workout (guest post)

Do Anywhere Speed Workout1 1024x640 Do *anywhere* speed workout (guest post)

(MizFit note: this guest post is brought to you by the awesome, runTASTIC )

We created this workout for people who are short on time, don’t have access to a track and want to lose weight.

It consists of alternating speed and recovery intervals, i.e. a HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) workout.

HIIT workouts increase your metabolism and bring a new quickness to your running. It’s been shown your body burns more fat and calories after a HIIT workout than you do after a long run. This type of a workout is a great way train efficiently without having to buy a lot of equipment.

Here’s the workout:

Warm up with a 10-15 minute easy jog and then do 3 rounds of 120 seconds, 90 seconds, 60 seconds and 30 second speed intervals with a 1-minute recovery jog in between each speed interval.  Aim for a consistent pace within each speed interval and to be able to maintain the same pace for each one.

What is the appropriate pace?

During the speed intervals, run at 80% of your max heart rate. This is not an all out sprint, but just below that. You should be able to finish each interval without feeling like you have to bend over to catch your breath or throw up! When we say recovery jog, we mean a SLOW recovery jog. It’s more like a shuffle (without getting sloppy on your form).  Seriously.

To complete this workout all you need is a watch and maybe some fun tunes to help you pick it up on the speed intervals and get your feet to turn over faster.

Have questions, feel free to reach out to me on Facebook, Twitter or our blog.

• Have you tried speed workouts like this before?  How did they work for you?

Meghan Reynolds is a running coach/co-founder of the running company Hot Bird Running which promotes empowering people to discover their inner athlete and love running as a means to becoming healthier.

Comments

I have never done a true speed workout and this looks simple enough to start out with. I have done sprints and some interval training that are somewhat similar. Glad to have an example to start with. Thanks!

2. Olive says

Mizzy I love this!

I used to skip guest posts on your blog until I saw you have bloggers write about what you don’t.
    (Does that even make sense??)

Great post.

Speed work is FUN! I usually do workouts with distance intervals because I can program my GPS watch to beep at me when it’s time to run and when it’s time to recover and I don’t have to keep an eye on the time. I can focus on not tripping over anything in the dark at 5am. ;-)

I love speed workouts based on time, not distance, for a change of pace. Keeps things interesting and they’re very effective. Thanks for sharing!

Love to hate intervals! But man, do they ever work (and super, duper efficient!).
    Not a runner (and won’t ever become one now after this Achilles injury), but I think I’ll give workout a shot, today, on the rowing machine!

Thanks!

Great post about interval workouts. For those that want more of a challenge – throw in a hill to that. OR don’t rest – slow your speed down to a jog for 60 seconds in between your sprinting bursts :)

-YLB

I just recently joined a gym and learned the importance of this style of interval training. I feel so much better after working out this way than if I just ran at a steady pace for the same amount of time!

HIIT workouts are the bomb! Saved my butt more times than I can say. I travel a lot and this is the answer so I don’t come back with a few extra pounds after every trip!

Wow this is really helpful, I’ve been wondering if running for long was more effective than short intense runs. I now realize I can make my runs shorter and still reap good results.
    Thanks

I need to try this. I need to hear that the recovery should be s.l.o.w. I do my recovery intervals at my normal pace.

hey, even I could handle this workout! maybe. although “fast” is a relative term, right? i’m more the slow and steady girl. really slow. i will give it a go this week on the trail

12. cheryl says

IT’s all about the clock..
    but be careful. If you aren’t used to speed workouts they can exacerbate or lead to injury.

I would like to try this speed workout! I don’t have much time to go to the gym and I think this is a great idea. It looks so effective. Thanks for sharing! :-D

I’m looking forward to my first speed workout, which i have planned for this Sunday! Looking forward to it – but dreading it too as it seems a bit scary!

Excellent post. I am a life long martial artist and “speed workouts” when done right work almost as well as the longer routine.