Hard boiled eggs in a coffee maker.

I am the Eggland’s Best brand ambassador and the below is a sponsored post. The topic, opinions, & fact Im obsessed with hard-boiling in the coffee maker are all my own.

Recently I took a trip to the homeland to Austin.

I love to travel.

Given my focus on active play it’s pretty easy for me to maintain my fitness on the road.

Given the fact Im an intuitive eater it can be a challenge for me to meet my mindful longings away from home.

Allow me to explain.

My body craves protein (reason number 87 why I chased Eggland’s asking to partner with them).

I may eat more protein than the (finger quote) normal (un-F.Q.) person but it’s the perfect amount for my body.

My body loves carbs, but those (unlike protein) are plentiful away from home.  Fruits, veggies, grains, etc. need no refrigeration/little preparation.

Im creative with my protein-to-go (jerkee, envelopes of tuna etc), yet crave more in less processed form.

Like my beloved tattooed oval:

photo 71 300x153 Hard boiled eggs in a coffee maker.

3 cheers for tattooed eggs!

As a result, my misfit-ears perked up when I heard it was possible to hard-boil eggs using only a coffee maker.

I knew Id have a coffee maker in my Austin hotel room and knew I had to find out for myself.

Upon landing I zoomed to the grocery and procured my beloved Eggland’s Best Eggs:

20131203 112933 300x300 Hard boiled eggs in a coffee maker.

selfie alert!

I examined the coffee maker (for once grateful it was old school not fancy!) and decided it would work.

Although you can boil as many eggs simultaneously as will fit in the carafe—I started with one.

20131203 113017 Hard boiled eggs in a coffee maker.

I was cautiously excited.

Next I filled the coffee maker to its limit with water & turned it to BREW.

20131203 113038 Hard boiled eggs in a coffee maker.

a hush fell over the crowd...

I quickly realized my error in not removing the empty plastic filter from the machine…

20131203 113052 Hard boiled eggs in a coffee maker.

murky water. lesson learned.

but since Id been gentle and the egg’s shell hadnt crack it mattered not.

I waited approximately 10 minutes (word is 7-8 produces a soft boiled egg) and my hard boiled experiment was complete.

20131203 113100 Hard boiled eggs in a coffee maker.

EGGcitement doesnt begin to cover it.

I sliced the egg open to confirm it was fully cooked and *voila* hard boiled, Eggland’s Best in a coffee maker perfection!

20131203 113110 Hard boiled eggs in a coffee maker.

I snarfed. I made more.

Now, Im misfit enough to consider coffee maker hard boiling eggs at home (bigger carafe = more of a haul at once) and it’s *definitely* something I’ll do again when traveling.

• I was shocked (by the concept).
  • I was surprised (it worked).
  • Im smitten (with the fast, easy, protein goodness).

And you?

Will you join me in hard boiling your eggs in a coffee maker carafe?  Why or why not?

Comments

Are you serious? It makes total sense but I never would have thought of that. Pure genius for travel! But I think I’ll do it the old fashioned way at home. Or in the oven – have you done it that way?

I remember you posting about this on FB and how you were going to try it out! So cool that it actually works!

My body craves the protein too :)

3. Wendi says

This is perfect for me since when I travel the company books me at cheapISH hotels with a mini-fridge and old coffee makers LOL.

I have to try this!!!! WOW!! What did you mean by NOT removing the plastic filter – not sure I got that cause I want to try this!!! :) Easy is my first name – not me middle name! ;)

5. MIZ says

CLARIFYING AS IVE ALREADY GOTTEN ME SOME EMAILS AND IT’S (checks watch) 520a MY TIME :)

the internal plastic this is where you place the coffee filter.
    on the old makers like the one above you can remove it–and then you wont get murky coffee-colored water as I did.

AMAZING! Who knew? We eat a disgusting amount of eggs over here… as vegetarian gym rats, eggs are a huge part of our diet. Interestingly enough, the guy who owns our gym also has his own small chicken farm, so we are able to buy fresh, local, humanely raised, antibiotic free (etc, etc) eggs AT the gym. Anyway, sadly, we do not have a coffee pot, just a french press and an electric tea kettle. Maybe I can put them in the kettle. Hmmm…

Oh my word this is BRILLIANT! I’ve been making my egg sammies in the microwave every morning and I wonder if I could use the Keurig to hard boil eggs. I might have to try this at home tonight, just to see if it works. Since the base isn’t heated, the water may not stay hot enough. Hmmmm. Definitely worth sacrificing and egg to find out.

My first thought was WHY??? would anybody want to do this? (I was thinking at HOME) but the travel idea is BRILLIANT>>> because I loooooove hard-boiled eggs but I MUST eat them warm or at least room temp. Cold HBE to me are like… refrigerated sandwiches (SHUDDER). I can’t wait to go to a hotel and try this out!! Wait… Fitbloggin? ;-)

What a great idea!!! I’m not usually a fan of hotel breakfasts – now I can do my own!!!
    Thank you for sharing this because I never would have come up with this!!!

Thank you for this! This is a destination race game changer. I love me some hard boiled eggs pre-marathon. But who can get them so early? Now I can! Squeee!

Cool beans! I had no idea. I usually bake them in the oven but for this kinda travel thing this rocks – healthy low cost hotel breakfast!!

Yes, i will, and for reasons besides travel — a coffee maker uses less electricity than a stove top! And in summer, it adds less heat to the kitchen that the A/C has to then compensate.

13. Kirsten/KyraTX says

Hmm. If you used coffee in the filter at the same time, you get coffee and breakfast made at the same time.

I make my hardboiled eggs in a rice cooker/steamer and it’s easy peasy – PLUS it allows you to cook more than one. When I make them, I usually put a whole carton in.

You just line the bottom of the pot with a paper towel and put in enough water just to wet the paper towel. Then put the eggs in, put the lid on and press the cook button on the pot. Once the button pops up signaling it’s done, I have perfectly hardboiled eggs every single time. And the best part is that it’s the kind where the shells NEVER stick to the egg :)

I almost always road trip with hard boiled eggs, but we cook them before we leave and pack them in a cooler with ice packs. Not sure you could do that for air travel, so this is another option! Although, honestly, most hotels I”ve stayed in offer hard boiled eggs at breakfast…plus I’m just too lazy to go to the grocery on vacation!

OOoh, NPR had a feature on this a few weeks ago. Supposedly you can steam veggies in the little basket thingie and grill a sandwich on the burner part. I need to go on a trip! :)

I can’t believe I missed this post earlier today!
    Eggs are a staple in my house (6-7 dozen consumed each week!). And when we’re on the road we always try and get a room with a microwave so we can at least ‘scramble’ breakfast. I’ll be trying this at a Motel 6 soon…

18. BrandiLynn says

wonder if my coffee maker is old and not so hot, I waited 12 minutes (because I am WEIRD about egg textures) and it was, well, how my husband would have LOVED them, super soft. I am going to try 30 minutes this time. :} But if I starts when I wake up, after I am bathed, eggs will be mine and I will not have had to run back and forth to the kitchen to make sure the house has not burned down!

• BrandiLynn says

Update, it must be my coffee maker. I let them sit for 30 minutes and still were way too soft my for my texture issue. I wonder if is a combination of older and larger than the 8 cup? Who knows! But a neat idea!