I introduced the Cadbury Creme Egg to the USA.

rsz photo214 I introduced the Cadbury Creme Egg to the USA.

Once upon a time I met a boy.

He was different from others I’d dated—in myriad ways—one being he frequently told me he couldn’t wait for our “honeymoon period” to be over.

I like the time when I’ve heard all the other person’s stories and start to hear them all for a second time.

To him the second time wasn’t the internal eye-roll I’ve heard this before experience, but an I love this. I know you. I know this story. comfy time.

I share that as disclaimer of sorts.

He heard this tale a trillion times and, toward the thirty-third rendition, I’m certain was rethinking his stance on the honeymoon period.

I share it a lot.

I’ve stopped strangers in drug stores and foisted the story upon them.

I’ve over-shared with disinterested people as we waited in checkout lines.

I’ve no recollection of ever telling her, yet the Tornado saw a Cadbury Creme Egg commercial, paused the ad and shouted:

Hey Mama! You brought those to this country!

And now I can’t stop myself from sharing here.

Quite frankly, because I believe it all to be true.

rsz photo2151 I introduced the Cadbury Creme Egg to the USA.

It’s become family lore.

Once upon *another* time I lived in Oxford, England for a year.

I was eight, many facets of the year sucked were a challenge, but come Easter time this little Jewish misfit fell in love.

Wholly, utterly, and fake creme yolk’y center in love.

It was 1977.

Barely anyone outside of the UK was familiar with the amazingnessment which was Cadbury and my little third grade sweet tooth ravaged it all with wild abandon.

Equally.

Until they released this:

Screen shot 2014 04 07 at 6.00.26 PM I introduced the Cadbury Creme Egg to the USA.

I lost my mind.

I bought, I ate, I bought, I froze for later months, I ate within days anyway, I bought more, I froze…

The cycle continued until Easter season ended and, not long after, so did our year in Oxford.

After I re-found my American roots (Wendys?! What the heck was that?!) I said to my mother—in the inimitable way of eight year olds which I can completely envision the Tornado doing now— I cant wait for next Easter! I loved those eggs!

Always tasked with the hard stuff—my mom broke it to me gently:

The Cadbury products are only sold overseas.  They wont be sold here next Easter.

I refused to believe her.

I was devastated.

I was angry.

I went through the 5 stages and yet still didn’t emerge ready for acceptance.

I did what we all did in that age before email: I wrote a letter to the company.

I detailed my sugar love.  I blathered about my Creme Egg passions.  I shared the sadness of my returning back across the pond—-I received a curt, kiss-off letter from legal detailing the fact they’d never, ever, ever take suggestions from outsiders.

Within a year my beloved Eggs of Creme were sold in the United States.

rsz photo216 I introduced the Cadbury Creme Egg to the USA.

She believes the family lore!

And really.

From either point of view:

Crazy then-nine year old?

Freak flag flying forty-four year old?

You do the math—right?

I introduced the Cadbury Creme Eggs to the USA.

Please to enjoy my gift.

Comments

1. tucking_fwit says

Cadbury’s chocolate has been big in the Commonwealth for decades, including South Africa, Australia and New Zealand which have their own factories and suppliers. Cadbury’s also has factories and sells chocolate in Europe and parts of the Mideast so the US has been missing out on this high quality chocolate.

I had an American boyfriend who when he visited me in Australia would stock up on bags of Cadbury’s before returning to the US because he said that there was no equivalent quality in the US.

2. Pam says

I tell a similar story about Pet Rocks, a short-lived fad back in the late 60’s and early 70’s. My best friend and I invented the concept back in the mid 60’s! We adopted two little rocks and named them Herky and Bubbles and proclaimed them our “pets!” If we had only marketed this silly idea we could have made millions. Imagine our surprise a few years later, when OUR idea swept the nation. To this day I insist that I invented Pet Rocks, even though the subject rarely comes up much anymore.

Oh my goodness- If I wasn’t doing a juice cleanse I would go buy a Cadbury Creme egg in your honor :) I love the pure joy your describe when you first tasted the eggs- and how you froze them (but ate them anyway).

The letter was so you wouldn’t sue when they stole your idea and brought them over here. That’s what i’ll believe! (grin)

Love this story.
    Now you need to write to them and politely ask that they stop using Hershey’s to make their cadburys here (as it doesn’t taste nice) and ship direct from England instead. Then I’ll have tons more room in my suitcase each visit :)

Oh, I’m so glad you did!! We had them in Canada, but you don’t find too many Cadbury products in the US…except the egg! I’m obsessed with these too. Always have been. And I certainly believe it was you that brought the eggs to America :D

• cheryl says

GO to any Target and you can find hordes of Cadbury products. I prefer the dark chocolate mini eggs with hard candy shell myself.

Upon moving from Canada to the USA, I’m thankful that the Cadbury Creme Eggs don’t taste different here than back home. However!! The mini eggs, do! :(

Love this story!!! I’m going to tell everyone I know that I “know” the person who is responsible for them being able to indulge in Cadbury Creme Eggs!!!

LOVE this story!

It’ so easy to just assume we have no impact when who the heck knows who might be listening and paying attention if bother to take the time to speak up? I generally go with silent muttering and bitching to myself as opposed to actual direct communication. Great inspiration to rethink that on occasion, thanks!

Thanks for introducing it here – because they are one of my favorite “foods” (if you can call it that? haha) of Easter! ;)

I firmly believe that I introduced Eiffel 65’s Blue (Da ba dee) to America. I was living abroad that summer and came home to call every radio station and request it as many times as I could possibly call. {Now I’m filled with shame.}

12. cheryl says

I like the chocolate eggs you can get in Italy (I think Germany also) that have a small toy in the middle. The toys are adorable and the chocolate it good. We can’t sell them here because the first time a kid swallowed the toy, there would be a huge law suit….

LOL! Who knew!

There were several foods I had for the first time in Europe. Demitasse coffee for example. Since then I always preferred my coffee that way :-)

14. emmaclaire says

Cadbury eggs have always been way too sweet for me, but my daughter’s Finnish boyfriend hooked us on a new addiction – Mignon eggs. They are solid chocolate eggs with a delicious Nutella flavor, and they come *in a real egg shell*!! It’s the strangest thing to crack an eggshell and have chocolate on the inside! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mignon_(chocolate_egg)

I was also tickled to hear about the Finnish tradition of Easter witches, who go door to door handing out willow branches in exchange for candy or coins. I could totally be an Easter witch :-)