note the mustache in the corner.
I recently heard the statistic SIXTEEN PERCENT of us eat or drink while watching television at night.
Million Dollar Listing LA? Brooklyn 99? The New Girl? my eyeballs may be feasting on them but my mouth is always otherwise engaged.
Child to bed. Charming taken out to do his “business.” Mama grabs snack and hits the couch.
I’m a card carrying consistent member of the 16% club.
4 reasons nighttime snacking works for me:
- My snacking isn’t mindless. I may be focused on Fredrik, but I make a MINDFUL choice before I turn on the TV. I stop, ask my body what it wants and bring a portion of snack with me—never the entire container. Researchers found people who eat while watching TV consume approx. 228 calories more than those who did not. I contend I don’t do this because I leave the container in the kitchen.
- I enjoy it. I savor the sensations. I adore my time of snacking, destressing and watching trash TV. Life is short. Jack LaLanne lived to age 97. He ate little, ingested no caffeine & never tasted dessert. LaLanne’s motto was: If it tastes good–spit it out!! My grandma lived to 101. She was active, ate dessert, and if it tasted good she left it in her mouth. For me it’s the old joke about ascetic-living: “I may live longer if I don’t night-snack—and it will feel longer, too.” I refuse to do the Oprah/Bob Greene stop eating at 7pm.
bacon = almost beef jerky.
- It’s not junk. Be it a frozen, protein shake or oatmeal cookies my nighttime TV snack has some nutritional value. Experts say television sparks our memory to “skip” what we’re eating. Ive taken time to prepare my snack (sometimes considerable time)–there’s no way my memory is “skipping.” Especially since I typically leave clean up till after TV-time.
- I’m a ME-expert. Ive mentioned “researchers” a few times and I’m all for listening to them. I’m a firm believer in reading, listening & info-gathering. Still, before I make any decisions, I grow still. I listen to my body. I remind myself I am the expert of me. And, for now, this expert brazenly believes being a member of the nighttime-BRAVO-watching-snacking-sixteen percent is OK. I’m doing what I can when I can.
Ive considered this habit of mine a great deal since I first read the statistic and have realized this:
Night-snacking works well for me because Ive had 44 years in this bod and intuitively know what it needs.
- Are you a member of the sixteen percent club? Are you, too, surprised the number is so low?
- What is YOUR mind-candy, trashtastic TV show of choice? Im always looking for new ones…