My FAVE tank-top post shvitz‘ing
It’s a hectic time of year for most of us.
Even if you don’t have a child starting THIRD GRADE next week (!) summer is wrapping up in the Northern Hemisphere which means life can just feel jam packed and rushed.
Around here the hectic manifests itself in choices.
swimming or hiking?
playground time or trampoline jumpage?
beach hangout or backyard BBQ?
Even though life is crazy in a good way—it’s crazy.
As The Tornado & I squeeze every last bit of fun out of our summer—it frequently forces me to make some hard choices of my own.
If I only have 30 minutes of ME-time each day which do I choose: SLEEP or SWEAT?
Sure in a perfect world we’d all have time for both.
Yes I’m hoping in 2015 this perfect world shall become reality and we’ll all snag 8 slumber’y hours and 60 minutes of shvitz per day.
- I’m known for saying: I’m not markedly more tired if I wake 30 minutes early to exercise than if I Zzzzzz 1800 more seconds.
- I know many of you beg to differ.
And, as much as I’d like to believe I’m always right, I researched.
It seems when it comes to selecting sleep versus sweat the choice appears to be a health-benefit toss-up.
Lemmie break it down.
Too little sleep can cause:
- fatigue (shocking)
- daytime sleepiness (another stunner, I realize.)
- lowered productivity
- clumsiness (ooh, perhaps that’s my problem?)
- weight gain (I find this one debatable)
- sugar cravings
- this misfitMama to be less than her normal, patient, benign, sparkling self.
The benefits of exercise (even short bouts!) include what most of us already knew:
- increased energy
- reduced risk of getting sick/some cancers
- lowered depression
- lessened anxiety
- improved overall sense of well-being
- better sleep (ahh the duality)
Because I know you’re all in a hurry!hurry! to get back to your busy lives I shall sum it up for you in a highly nonscientific fashion:
When it comes to choosing SLEEP vs SWEAT the health benefits are a freakin’ toss-up.
It’s all what feels best to us and that’s my question to you today.
One word answers, please.
- When you’re forced to choose whats your selection SLEEP or SWEAT?