Please not to fall over in shock but we’re actually going to continue yesterday’s theme into today.
(I know. Only sort of, however, because G-d forbid I become too organized up in herre.)
Today’s tips are strategies to make the most out of the time you have available to workout.
Whether you have all the minutes in the world at your disposal (ahhh—days of yore) or you have only thirty in which to cardioyogaliftbikeWHATEVS your way to health there are a few ways you can maximize your benefits.
(if by few you mean: here are mine now gimmie yours in the comments—–which I do.)
These are in no specific order as, in my opinion, we all need to rank them for ourselves since we all have different reasons/goals for our exercise.
1. Dont chat. Buckle down and make your exercise time a time of FOCUS. If youre uncomfortable donning a “mess with me and I will bite your head off” face (not that Id know a thing about that expression) try kicking your work out up a notch or five to the point where you *could* carry on a conversation but it’s a challenge.
Wheezing and uberbreathlessness are oft perfect deterrents for random conversation striker-uppers. (MizFit note: This tip isnt for everyone & is precisely what I was referencing above. Your gym time may really be an opportunity to socialize with adults after spending the morning scraping wet goldfish crackers from your shirt (not that Id know a thing about that). If you dont mind socializing just be certain you still complete your intended workout.)
2. Plan ahead. This is an obvious one, but, as with the parking far from the gym entrance and walking, one which many of us fail to do.
Jot down your workout before you hit the gym (complete with a Plan B in case the equipment you wish to use /the class you plan to take is occupied/full.).
3. Change. Change. Change. (also known as MizFit’s Do As I Say & Not As I Do rule number 12312C). Switching around your workout is important regardless but if youre under any sort of time pressure you want to be even more careful not to let your body plateau.
Alternate between longer bouts of cardio and high intensity training. Taken the same 9 am group exercise class for months now? Give weight training a try.
Sure, you can mix things up too much by trying a new workout on a daily basis—–but I think we all can tell when our body is plain ole USED TO and BURNT OUT ON what we’re currently doing.
4.Proper form. No matter what your workout o’choice always be sure youre doing it correctly. While this sounds like a no-brainer think about the last time you were at the gym or walking/running outside. Did you notice anyone and think “Holy
crapballs moley! S/he is going to injure himself.” or (and be honest) “Whoa. That’s not how you do that.” & cringe inwardly? (Dont lie. I know you did.)
Whether it’s hiring a trainer for a session or two, asking an instructor for extra help, or renting a video so that you can practice at home good form is a *huge* way to get more from any time you spend exercising.
5. Set yourself up for success. Sleep in your exercise clothes so you wake up ready to go (please to again see not that Id know anything about that), set multiple alarms (whether youre a morning or after work exerciser! There’s nothing like the annoying PING! of a handheld device to get me moving/remind me of something about which Id like to procrastinate), find a workout partner——whatever it takes!
6. Visualization. Im all about this. In all aspects of my life. If I cannot even imagine it occurring I truly believe it’s not destined to happen (please to also see my vivid vision of plopping on Oprah’s couch with my boyfriend (Mehmet Oz) & her best girlfriend (Gayle) and my new baby (my MizFitness book)).
Im a firm believer in this in the most basic of ways: you attract into your life whatever it is you think about.
So git to visualizing those workouts (and, if you believe as I do, those races & competitions).
That’s all I got, People.
Studies show that exercise accumulated in several short periods during the day is just as good for you as one longer session. (want some science? please to look here. Want more science? you’re at the wrong blog…)
Use the time you have and, since that’s what you’ve got, it’s plenty!
Those are my tips for getting the most bang out of your proverbial workout buck.
Now you. Whatcha got for me? Please to hit us all up in the comments.