We have previously established that Im a fan of Gaiam products.
I loved me the FIRM WAVE.
I allowed their Nordic walking poles to convince me Im a walker at heart.
As a result when am email from the popped into my in-box I opened it with much excitement.
Could they be offering me the chair I covet?? Say it isnt so!
I wasnt disappointed but not just because I was getting free stuff for the reasons one might think.
The lovely people at Gaiam were emailing to offer me a chance to try this:
And, being the child of the 80’s I am, I immediately chose the former.
Barbara Cooper, errr, Valerie Bertinelli will always have a special place in my heart.
I grew up watching her show and clearly recall the day a neighbor remarked I slightly resembled her. I wasn’t a girl who spent much time in front of a mirror but that afternoon I spent hours checking out my countenance happilyscrutinizing for any minor resemblance.
Along with the rest of America I Tivo’d Oprah when V.B. came on to talk about her memoir (!) and I actually made time to watch the show live when she did her bathing suit reveal following a stint on Jenny Craig (THANKS TO THIS BLOGGER FOR CATCHING MY ERROR. Did you miss it? ask her 🙂 she may tell you what it was…).
Wait, where was I headed with this trip down memory lane?
Why I selected the Losing It! DVD to review.
It was all about the MizFit memories.
What did I like about the Losing It & Keeping Fit DVD?
- Lack of pretension. Valerie Bertinalli hath stayed true to her roots. She’s still the self-deprecating Barbie Cooper I knew and loved. She’d not a wearing snazzy outfit & the DVD isnt shot on a blinged-out stage. Her “Im every woman” comments really did make me laugh and, I think, would serve to motivate. She makes no attempt to play the whole thing off as though she adores exercise and it comes easily to her.
- Easy to follow instructions & two different levels. The DVD is really easy to grasp/do the first time (unlike many workout DVDS where it can take me a few times just *watching* before I get any sort of a workout). The instructions are clear and without aforementioned blinged-out setting its easy to see what both the trainer and Barbie, err, Valerie are doing. There’s also a 20 minute Body Basics workout (beginner) and a 40 minute Keeping Fit workout for the more advanced/after you build an exercise foundation.
- It’s old school and I love me some old school. For those of you who never worked out to Jane Fonda audio (yes, I said audio) tapes the music on this DVD might put you to sleep. For me it was a trip down MizFit Memory Lane. The DVD also uses some oldold school moves (remember the donkey kicks?) however it is all balanced out/updated with new moves such as planks and lots of balance work.
What didnt I love about my time with The Bertinelli?
- The trainer Christopher Ross Lane was fine (knowledge/safety-wise) but for some reason did absolutely nothing to inspire me. It wouldnt be the first time, however, the Great Jillian Michaels and I disagreed on something & she obviously adores him.
- While I praised the non-sparkly set it was a bit distracting at first. My eyes kept wandering to an armchair inexplicably placed in the background (what is it for? will they yank it out later & incorporate it into the routine?). That said, I was also distracted by fact that Christopher Ross Lane’s eyes pretty much matched the color of his shirt. (Perhaps there’s a reason I tend NOT to do DVD workouts more than once a week…)
- Workout: The routine was safe, thorough, & great for people who want to workout at home & are in the beginning stages of their exercise routines.
- Would I recommend? This answer is entirely unique to the individual. I’ve already recommended the DVD to friends of a certain age who loved One Day At A Time as I did. Ive also recommended it to friends who are on Weight Watchers & have enjoyed watching V.B.’s weight loss success. In my opinion, if you’re younger than, say, 35 you many like the workout but enjoy the background music notsomuch.
You can preorder here or enter to win your own DVD for the lowlow price of a comment below.
Had you received the email I did which DVD would you have chosen? Why?
Are you a fellow Barbie Cooper fan? Or are you among the masses who gave me the One Day At A WHAT? look when I asked them if they’d watched the show.
Please to hit us all up in the comments.
One winner of a Losing it! And Keeping Fit DVD & one winner of a Warrior Yoga DVD will be announced Friday.