I opened my email
was offered for free
(Blah. Blah. Blah
Take that FTC)
A chance to review
The Ren man? He heard me
So loud I did shout.
I love me some derby
We’ve gone. Took the girl!
For ages Ive longed
To give it a whirl.
Whip It? Loved it.
The skaters are TOUGH.
They’re fearless, inspiring
badass and BUFF.
The DVD? Dang.
A great way to PLAYout.
For a few days right after
My body did *shout.*
What specifically I liked about the DVD:
- I immediately noticed that the women were all shapes and sizes. The workout is led by the members of the Heart Attacks Roller Derby Team & I adored that they embodied the fact strength & power comes in all different (tattooed & non) packages.
- It was entirely fun and creative. The women used their derby names (I particularly coveted SHIV) & referred to stretches in “different” ways (for example: The Stripper Stretch and the Skeleton Key). All of this served to make the workout more fun and go much more quickly.
- It was a good workout off skates & there’s the option to increase the difficulty with the addition of weights or skates. (Yes. I did attempt to use my skates initially. I unlaced those things quickfastandinahurry. These women possess balance I can only dream of at this point…)
- It was really great insight into what muscles are CRUCIAL for a derby girl to possess. I’d obviously noticed that roller derby called for strong legs—but the focus on balance, plyometrics and core surprised me.
What didnt I like about the DVD:
- Parts of it seemed a little old school. Im beginning to wonder if everything old isnt new again as it seems donkey kicks & leg lifts are done in many DVDs Ive seen recently. Old school or not—-these moves are hard as a motherfucker when you attempt then with skates ON. The extra weight is noticeable.
- There isnt any real upper body workout That said, the dvd promises a true ROLLER DERBY exercise routine so that’s the reason why.
- The ending seemed a little abrupt to me/not much cool down time. The sad thing is Im known to be a woman who fast-forwards through the cool down (I know I know) so I almost laugh that I bother to point this fact out.
Would I recommend the DVD?
YES! with the above clarifications/personal Roller Derby Love issues in mind.
I had fun doing it (which isnt always the DVD case) and it’s definitely a workout I could do with the Tornado underfoot as she was pretty riveted just watching it as well.
Now, I have one copy of the Roller Derby Workout to give away and you can be entered to win for the lowlow price of a comment below.
What would YOUR roller derby name be?
I have to admit that after eons of thought Id simply stick with MizFit. It encompasses all that I am (kinda fit & definitely a misfit).
Please to hit us all up in the comments below.
Winner announced 11/16 USA only