- Warmer temps (or cooler if youre a transplant as am I).
- Longer days (love. Im a misfit who thrives in sunlight).
- Almost over (thirteen days till school)
- SAD FACE.
The Tornado & I would leap (lunge? burpee?) at a last hurrah!! vaycay, but sadly our bank account begs to differ.
We are not despairing.
A trip to a fab fitness destination may not be in the cards
please G-d let there be a YOGA RETREAT for MAMA in 2014 yet, unbeknownst to her, Ive planned a kickass PLAYout-filled STAYcation for us.
In the spirit of saving *you* time should you wish to join in—I give you Five Things I Learned Planning Our (shhhh!) FITNESS STAYcation:
1. Staycation means near home – not necessarily in it. Explore options for hotel stays in your zip code. If youre flexible about date/check-in times you can find fantastic deals at faaancy hotels. Search for swimming pools/FREE fitness facilities. Also, dont forget to ask about upgrades (I learned a lot from this book)!
2. Fitness indulge. PRE-staycation brainstorm products you love. If you have a partner/family ask them, too. What they want may surprise you (I had no idea the husband longed to stand up paddle!) Let your imagination soar & list everything from resistance bands to treadmill. Match your budget with products (dont forget ebay/craigslist!) & pick a new piece for each day of staycation. Get inventive with how you use your new purchases (or random house-finds!).
3. Divide and conquer. Ask each family member/STAYCATION-friend to plan an activity du jour (form teams if your children are young). In summer free options abound (hiking, walking tours of your town, outdoor obstacle courses, organizing a game of kickball etc). Are you a creative-type with family/friends who aren’t? Perhaps *you* create a list of FUNoptions & use a fitness jar.
4. Do a gym-hop! Day passes aren’t cheap, but they are in comparison to a full vacation! Decide what activities youve been longing to do (rock climbing, swimming, basketball, Zumba etc.) and search for a local gym that offers it. Many facilities are large enough (mini-resorts almost) exploring them *thoroughly* is an all-day affair.
5. Eat locally. Studies show we abandon healthy eating habits on vacation. On STAYcation youre never forced to airport-dine or hit up roadside fast food! Use these days to eat *healthier* than normal. Visit farmers markets you’ve been vowing to see & shop for fresh, local fruits and vegetables. Seize this opportunity to leisurely create healthy meals, eat mindfully and enjoy being present with loved ones.
6. Git fancy. Turn down service, room service, in-room movies—all the stuff youd never do at home during ‘real life.’ Remember, healthy living includes all things in moderation!
There you have it.
The six SURPRISE ways Im making the Tornado’s last few days before school *rock* STAYcation style.
If I’m crazy enough to attempt unshared tip number SEVEN (snag other kids on our cul-de-sac & create a day long PLAYout camp) and I live to tell the tale I shall report back….
- Any additional ideas to make this SURPRISE STAYcation even better?
- Whats your fave thing to do on an in-town vacation?
DiZclaimer: We did STAYcation before and it rocked (and it KILLED ME how the Tornado called it a stayvacation) but it was just the two of us. This time we’ll be three.