Hello Mizfit readers!! I’m Ari and I blog at Ari’s Menu. I am so honored to be sharing over here today!
One of my favorite things about summer is produce and grilling! Once it hits the triple digits, I cannot bring myself to turn on my stove or oven (unless it’s to bake cookies. 😉 )
I love a good burger, but I’m also not someone who needs meat at every meal. That’s my husband. In fact, the entire reason this recipe is for 1 is because I just cannot convince that man that a mushroom counts as a meal. And he hates mushrooms which I will never understand. I could eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and if they are a part of a meal, I will steal all of them before anyone else gets to eat any.
If I’m going to a BBQ, often times I will just bring some portobellos and sweet potatoes to grill up. Mostly because if I eat veggies, I feel like I get to eat SO MANY, and I’m a big food lover and all about portion maximization!
The portobello soaks in the flavors of the olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and pairs perfectly with the creamy mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, and oven roasted tomatoes.
This “burger” may be packed with veggies, but it is hearty, filling, and totally crave-worthy. Your beef eating friends will be super envious when it comes time to eat!
Caprese Portobello Burger
yield 1 serving
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- 1 leaf fresh basil + extra for serving, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 portobello mushroom, stem removed
- 1 whole grain bun, toasted (gluten-free may be used if desired)
- fresh romain
- 1 oz part skim mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray a medium baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place tomato slices on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with 1/2 tbsp each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with freshly chopped basil and about a pinch each of salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until tender.
- Rub remaining oil and vinegar into your mushroom. Grill over medium heat until browned and tender, about 5-7 minutes each side.
- Top toasted bun with lettuce, cooked mushroom and tomatoes, mozzarella and extra chopped basil. Serve immediately.