My torrid love affair with chia.

wpid 2011 12 25 06.58.44 e1324904545352 My torrid love affair with chia.(ahhh nutritional powerhouse. we HEART ye.)

We’ve loved on the chia seed for ages at Casa MizFit.

For years.

It’s a love affair  which began back when Id never HEARD the word piriformis & the Tornado possessed a first half to her blog-moniker (Toddler).

I was smitten.

I proselytized.

I yammered to anyone who would listen & *at*many who did not:

Lest you get any sort of impressed here’s pretty much how we consumed the seed:

Sure, I’d usually use a spoon and not my finger or that’s what Ill pretend on a public forum.

Yes, I’d also often sprinkle chia on salads, oatmeal & dump liberally in my shakes, but that was about the extent of it.

Recently, however, we’ve needed more fiber in our lives (you may thank me in the comments for not delving into specifics).

No longer was a finger-full a few times a day enough.  I needed a chia-conveying system which would get both of the other members of the household to consume a larger quantity.

First we tried ChiaJelly (we loved. we loved.):

Next we added it to our protein pancakes *right* before they finished ‘caking:

wpid 2011 12 30 06.07.34 300x225 My torrid love affair with chia.

This was a HUGE hit in our house.  Both Ren Man & the Tornado gave it the thumbs up!

wpid 2011 12 30 06.09.59 225x300 My torrid love affair with chia.

Me? Im still the odd misfit out around here (does that even make sense?).

I like to add water to mine, let it grow into GOO, & eat with a few berries on top.

wpid 2011 12 27 06.36.54 300x225 My torrid love affair with chia.(my snack mid-goo process)

Or, more frequently, cram a few spoonfuls into my CHIAhole immediately upon waking.

AND YOU?

Have you discovered the healthy fat’asticness which is the chia seed? Or do you still fear the goo?

How do you eat your chia? (blogged about it? link yourself in the comments!)

Do you spend endless hours flossing as a result of your chia-habit? Or is it only my teeth which tenaciously trap the seeds?

Comments

• curlsz says

Alexandra – if you can do tapioca then you may like them – once they have soaked in a liquid and are activated they are more like tapioca and not quite so much like seeds

1. Healthy Mama says

I bought the chia after seeing you talk about it over on Facebook.
    I’ll be back after we try the jelly.

Cute video.

2. Izzy says

I really like my ground flax seed.
    Should I use this instead of that for any health reasons?
    I can’t see switching.

3. Tom says

I started with the chia after Born to Run.
    I don’t know if it helps, but I am still using it.

4. Hannah says

OK chia is on my list of things to try now, too.

I love the jelly vlog and could never ever eat anything that looks like that just from my finger or spoon.

You’re crazy LOL

5. Miz says

I’m fortunate in that I’ve found chia here in the bulk bins at heathier groceries (from whole foods to locally owned) for almost a decade.

You can usually find at General Nutrition Centers too or order online.

I’d check your regular grocery’s health food aisle first!

ChiaOn ;-)

6. Lorraine says

I’ve never heard of eating this before!

You really put it in pancakes? What kind of pancakes?

Thanks Miz.

I still need to find the one I want to buy. I have not seen that jar brand you show – does it have to be ground to work right as I see lots of whole & some ground..

OK on the the videos – LOVE and the Tornado is adorable in both of hers – what a cutie!!!

The pancake & strawberry one sound good – not sure up your gel version. ;-)

8. Miz says

GREAT QUESTION JODY!

Unlike flax seeds which we, uh ,’pass’ and get no benefit if they’re not ground you can CHOMP the CHIA *whole.*

9. Molly says

Overall I am terrified of the goo stuff :), but mashed with fruit and in a PB&J I could do this.

Have you ever seen chia at HEB?

As I posted on your FB wall, I have tried chia for the first time with yogurt, but neglected them this morning since they have not yet been habituated. I’ll get them worked in, though…I know it. Chia chocolate nut-milk as a dessert treat? hmm…

11. Debbie says

I think you could do chia soaked in chocolate almond milk till goo-like and then flavor to taste, Kyle!

I have not tried Chia, will keep my eye out for it and give it a try; I’ll try just about anything. And goo, that sounds so good how can i not want to give chia a try.

13. Miz says

I laugh that back in the day (read: first vlog which I think was 2008?) the goo got my gag-reflex going.
    And now? I love. I love.

I weird.
    I weird.

Now that my own healthy eating is on track, I’m trying to slowly transform the greedy kids’ diet. It’s encouraging to see the Tornado all up in this blog post.

Chia has been on my list of things to try, and I’ll be picking it up soon. I’ll probably add it to my oatmeal and pancakes. The boys love when I make pancakes and I love finding new healthy things to add to them.

BTW, the Today Show had showcased chia seeds on their foods to eat in 2012. So they got the message!!!

• MizFit says

and I must have missed their call as Im confident they wanted me to come on, too.
      Or maybe that was just my VISION BOARD :-)

Tomato. Tomaaaaahto.

i have heard so much about chia lately & have absolutely no excuse for not trying it by now — on my list of things to do this week!
    as usual your vlogs rock!

17. Sallie says

These are the vlogs I love.
    Where there’s action and teaching involved!

I’ll try chia although I, too, am nervous the goo will make me gag.

I confess, still never tried it. AND I’m out of flaxseeds (I fed the last to my chickens, had them through the eggs?). Sheesh, how can I call myself a fit blogger? he he

• Miz says

FOR SHAME Kerri :-)
      And you will love it.
      I wish I could go door to door giving away baggiesful so we could all try w/out getting a biga**container.

POINTS DOWN AT CARA’S COMMENT complete with recipe :-)

I recently had to give up dairy, which meant I had one wee little problem: that Greek yogurt I loyally enjoyed every day around 11am? gonzo. Now, I know there are other protein-filled snacks that don’t involve dairy, but I wanted something that would also provide the creamy texture and sweetness I looked forward to. Enter chia protein pudding! I’ve been making mine with almond milk, protein powder, chia and cocoa powder, and topping it off with mixed berries. So glad to have discovered this!

Sadly, I’m not a fan. And there are already too many healthy foods I absolutely LOVE to try to cultivate a chiaddiction.

However, I can totally relate to your enthusiasm and excitement about finding some weird (to others) food and discovering all the cool ways you can incorporate it into your life. You should hear what the Lobster has to put up with as I extol the virtues of egg whites, whey powder, kale, squash etc. It’s so cool you found a miracle food you love!

• Miz says

I hadnt realized until reading your comment how crazy I get with the poor husband too!
      When I love something I think everyone should.
      From books to beef jerky :)

OOPS!

21. Pattie says

I don’t watch vlogs, but that cocked face in the Tornado’s I had to!
    It was too curious making for me to resist LOL.

I think I may be with Crabby on this one. I will try again someday.

Love Chia but never knew there was so much you could do with it. I would always just put it in my oatmeal, in smoothies and on my flap jacks, things like that. Can’t wait to try all the new ways to use it.

And yes, I constantly need the floss! LOL

• MizFit says

yes ma’am. for a while I snuck around with my chia. dodged the flax and prayed he’d not find out :-)
      NOW? I do em both…
      shhhhh.

Mmmmm. I do so love chia overnight oats with a bit of fruit or maple syrup or cocoa. One of the best breakfasts out there…tried them last year and I’m hooked.

Well, having tried it straight out of the container (and you know I have the video to prove it), I’ve decided to go back to putting it in my oatmeal or other healthy chia delivery systems: yogurt, smoothies, soup…I just thought of something. I think I am going to add them to my turkey meatloaf muffin recipe! Tonight in fact!

Love the Chia Seeds. Yes I have to dig them out after eating.
    I think that Dr. Oz has a recipe on his site for chia muffins….I haven’t tried it yet so don’t know what they are like.

I still have yet to try the Chia! But, I need to add a source of fiber and protein to my breakfast shakes. I’ve done flax before, but didn’t really like the flavor it gave. If chia doesn’t really taste like anything, maybe it will be a better addition?

You inspired me to get some chia ASAP after I read this. I ordered it online and when it arrived, I might have had a small spoonful right off the bat because I was so curious about it :). I tried it atop my lunch salad and I’m going to experiment with some recipes. I’m also looking forward to trying it before a long run this weekend to see if it makes a difference.

Chia, coconut milk, vanilla and coconut sugar. Mix. Refrigerate until thickened. Eat. Eat more. I have to hold back from inhaling the whole thing. It’s like tapioca pudding, I am told, by unsuspecting subjects.

Chia supplier: Amazon.com, bought in bulk, best price found.

29. Elizabeth Anderson says

I love it in drinks ! I was in San Diego and bought a ” Momma Chia ” cherry and lime drink. Yummy. Can’t buy it in Alabama, so I make my own… Especially good after working out !