Dizclaimer: Oh FTC? The shoes were free. And yes, I accepted em HAPPILY.
You may be surprised to find out that Ive started running.
It’s shocking, I know, as Ive barely mentioned it at all up in herre.
Another thing which may shock you to discover is I enjoy going to the gym and hoisting the iron (resistance bands or plopping on a weight machine).
I know. Im an enigma wrapped in a riddle. Ive heard it all before.
As a result, you shall be stunned when I share with you that I barely finished READING an email from New Balance offering me the chance to try the Women’s 710 cross-training shoes before I hit reply & shouted YES!!
(please to pause here as I yank my tongue from in my cheek)
I *really* couldnt wait to get my new pair of kicks and, as soon as they arrived (Christmas Eve morning none the less), I dragged the Ren Man & the Tornado off to the gym.
What did I like about the New Balance 710?
- It’s low profile. I can not emphasize enough how how much I adore this fact. Im not sure if it is merely me (although if you read this book then you may conclude it is NOT) but all the padding!cushioning! in running/athletic shoes these days is killing my back. The 710 offers New Balance’s patented ABZORB® cushioning and is still flat low profile enough it didnt cause excess stress on my low back.
- Its mesh upper. Im a sweater. Everywhere. ‘Nuff said.
- The 710 works for weight training and running. New Balance promotes this as a shoe for short runs. I found it worked great for longer runs (which as I type this blog all leads me to wonder what the definition of LONG or SHORT run is—anyone?) as well. I loved not having to bring a change of shoes to the gym when I both lifted and ran in one workout session.
- Its price. The 710 retails for 69.99 which seems like a great deal to me for a comfortable, durable workout shoe (that said, we know I have a costly shoe addiction & welcome your .02 with regards to shoe prices in the comments.)
What didnt I like about the 710?
- The color options. The 710 comes in silver, white and black. I longed for a pair in hot pink, bright orange or *something* with a splash of pizazz or sparkle. I think most women tend to get their FUNon with dress shoes and, since workout shoes are my dress shoes, my tastes may not be the tastes of the masses.
There you have it, People.
LOVE (comfort, breathe-ability, amount of cushioning & price) and not-so-love (color. I DO love me some color).
You can be entered to win a pair of the New Balance 710s for the lowlow price of a comment below.
What do you look for when purchasing cross-training or short distance running shoes?
Whats your biggest lament when it comes to workout shoes in general?
Please to hit us all up in the comments.
Winner announced 1/25/10 USA only.