As I have rhymingly yammered above—I love me some Jackie Warner.
Yes, I agree that her first tv show kinda plummeted in the final season (Im more about the dumbbells than the drama) but I adored how she cared about & unflaggingly encouraged/supported her clients.
Her style reminded me so much of how I trained people when I owned my studio (I KNOW! Please to file under prideful & cross-reference under MizFit has chutzpah.).
She’s a cheertasker.
A stickler for form. Relentless in demanding her clients work to push themselves to their limits. Yet always there to cheer them on & believing in them even when they are losing faith in themselves.
So it’s no surprise I leaped at the chance to review her first exercise DVD.
and YES. While I may never have the $400/hr she demands for her one-on-one training sessions the Personal Training with Jackie DVD is a fantastic poor-MizFit’s second choice.
The DVD offers five different workout options: a 15 minute total body circuit, a 15 minute abs only circuit, a 15 minute lower body circuit, a 15 minute upper body circuit, and a 40 minute total body circuit.
What did I love about the DVD?
- It’s almost as though she is right there with you. As an ex-personal trainer my favorite part of the entire dvd is how clear, concise, thorough & SAFE Jackie’s instructions are. She not only describes and demonstrates the exercises—she adjusts her ‘background exercisers’ during the workout and, if you are anything like I am, the adjustments are ones YOU needed to make as well.
- The workout is broken down into upper body, lower body & core work. So many videos merely gloss over the core work and Jackie divides her workout equally among these three pieces. Only glimpse at her midsection was all I needed to be a believer that her workout plan, well, works.
- It’s fast paced. As Ive said before I tend to grow bored during most DVD workouts. Jackie employs lots of supersets & what she calls power burns (doing an exercise for a full minute & then switching) which made the workout fly by for me.
- The Tornado loved it as well. As a mom it is more than a SMALL bonus that my daughter enjoyed hanging with me while I did the 15 minute workouts. She joined in for some parts (she’s a kickass jumping jack’er) & also pretended to be The Warner at others and freely adjusted/critiqued my form.
What didn’t I like about the DVD (subtitle: MizFit reaches for some sort of criticism):
- I wished Jackie had worn shorter shorts. As odd as that sounds I do think Id have benefited from seeing her legs during the lower body exercises (form) & I do think Id have benefited from seeing her legs during the lower body exercises (motivation. she is in amazing shape, People. Seriously.)
- I wasn’t in it. Who doesnt need a pretty-coordinated yet happy to remain in the background MizFit in her video? I was fortunate, however, to chat with The Warner by phone & procure some of her tips & secrets—watch for that post in upcoming weeks.
Would I recommend the DVD?
Yes and without hesitation. I wont lie and say I found the 40 minute total body routine to be easy (at all) yet I dont think it’s out of reach for any of us.
I’d recommend the DVD with the caveat of starting with the 15 minute workouts FIRST and working up to the 40 minute routine.
(Or, should you wanna employ the MizFit approach, begin with the 15 minute workouts & watch the 40 minute routine from the comfort of your couch till youre ready to join in. Good times.)
Attention skimmers! Now for the giveaway portion of our post. One about which Im really excited because I found the workout to be motivating, challenging, TornadoDistracting & fun.
For one lucky reader-winner I have a copy of Personal Training with Jackie:
And a copy of the not yet released (Got mine yesterday–hence the lack of review. it’s coming!) Xtreme Timesaver Training DVD:
You may be entered to win for the low low price of a comment below.
Were you to have the chance what question would YOU pose to The Warner?
From Thintervention to motivation — please to hit us all up in the comments.
One question will be randomly selected as winner of DVDS and of an answer from Jackie Warner.
USA and CANADA only. Winner announced 9.24.10