we’ve done TRADITIONAL lists for as long as I can recall.
We’d already created our 2016 Summer Bucket List when a friend mentioned to me the idea her Mindful Summer List.
It sounded heavenly.
We’d had no trouble finding new and LOUD activities to fill our next few months, but I admitted to her looking at our list (on the heels end of school May-mayhem) made me feel exhausted.
Actually, not exhausted, I clarified for myself as much as for her. Overstimulated.
Our Summer Bucket List, replete with music festivals and fireworks, was all sound and no silence.
My friend’s tip about a mindful list (which Google indicates she may have discovered here) seemed the perfect balance to our planned cacophony.
Our Summer ’16 Mindful Bucket List:
- Make a Summer ’16 only gratitude jar.
- Go for a leisurely walk with no destination or agenda.
why YES this did take me by *surprise*
- Choose one day each week for Wave to a Stranger Day.
- Print out blank calendars and designate a kindness (big or small) for each day of summer.
- Create and draw a sidewalk yoga sequence around our ‘hood.
- Spend time with people who make us happy.
- Write in our mother/daughter journal consistently.
- Sleep outside on trampoline and stargaze.
- Play the clarinet more.
- Light the Shabbat candles every Friday.
To my delight the Child was as intrigued by the mindful-idea as she was by our other annual list.
Whether it’s nature or nurture she, too, seemed to realize summer by default would be filled with an abundance of sights, sounds, and activity, but mindful and slow might not happen unless we planned ahead.
With the exception of #11 (the Child *thinks* she can play the clarinet. her squawks are anything but calming) each of our 12 list items are endeavors we can do together, apart or with other companions.
Today is the official start of summer ’16 around here.
We’re boisterous. We’re rowdy.
We’re enthusiastic. We’re energized.
We’re centered. We’re calm.
Or so is our plan, anyway.
- Do you create a Summer Bucket list?
- Had you heard of a Mindful Summer Bucket List before?