Musings on enjoying the process.

rsz screen shot 2014 06 29 at 55817 am Musings on enjoying the process.

I don’t know what the blog version of FAKEBOOKING is—but, in rereading this post, I think I accidentally did it.

It’s not that I wasn’t excited to get a book deal (those who know me well know this is a process I started back in 2000), I just knew–unlike my beloved fiction writing–getting a “deal” was merely a permission slip to do work.

You see, in the world of non-fiction, an agent submits a book proposal to a publishing house and the house decides whether they want to purchase or not.

As a result, it is *exciting* when you receive a “we would like to purchase your book idea” email but, if you’re Carla, it truly feels like a permission slip to get to writing.

I was excited.

I was ready.

I blocked off the entirety of July to git to fulfilling that permission slip.

I forgot everything I’d preached and failed, initially, to practice it as well.

The transition is as important as the pose.

rsz screen shot 2014 07 17 at 50246 am Musings on enjoying the process.

Roni and I started writing by dividing the labor and deciding we’d reconvene at the computer in a few week, exchange work, and meet again later after editing each other’s writing.

I rocked this approach for about 3.5 minutes.

I’m not sure this is the way to go,” I emailed her.  “Why does this feel plodding and painful to create?!”

I hit send and waited for her reply.

I envisioned interrupting Roni’s prolific writing flow, causing her brow to furrow, and her not understanding why I struggled with the creative process.

In approximately one minute my phone rang.

Yes! I’m feeling the same way.  Let’s write this together.  Let’s work simultaneously to create our book.

Quite frankly I thought her nuts—but without any better suggestions I blocked off 5 hour chunks and we made plans to co-write.

Literally.

For hours at a time.

And I braced myself.

I steeled myself to “get through the process” so I could seize the We’ve got a book!! goal at the end.

And we started.

And something happened.

Somewhere between writing about the amazing power of doing what you can when you can and the importance of enjoying the process of goal achievement–I began to live it again.

Screen Shot 2014 07 17 at 4.57.04 AM Musings on enjoying the process.

Five minutes on the phone co-writing turned into five hours creating in the BLINK of an eye.

Five minutes stolen here or there added up to chapters written and outlines fleshed out.

I realized—for the first time in ages—I was practicing what I preached.

I was enjoying the process of creating our book without the slightest focus on getting to the end and being DONE.

I’d stopped caring about the end goal.

I was so energized and invigorated at the end of each co-writing session I cared not whether our book was a New York Times best seller or languished on the shelves of a few dedicated readers.

I had so much fun creating and brainstorming with Roni that our end-goal felt not important at all.

As we #wycwyc‘ed our way through writing about #wycwyc I felt happier and more content than I have in years.

Our full manuscript is due Friday and until then I’ll be #wycwyc’ing life.

I’m offline and on.

I’m tweaking and editing.

I’m mama’ing and PLAYINGout.

And I’m enjoying every single solitary minute of the process.

Comments

1. Healthy Mama says

I am really enjoying being part of this with you and Roni.
    I can’t wait to see the book.

This is awesome! So often I find myself rushing to get to the “next thing”. So glad you both found a way to enjoy the journey.

3. Izzy says

OMG.
    Writing together sounds hard.
    I’m not sure I could do it I think I’d fight with my co-author too much.

I always want things to happen instantly and struggle when they don’t. The transitions are as important as the pose. If isn’t always a destination sometimes it’s just a journey.

Fantastic! I enjoy the process of my work. The hardest part is the polishing steps at the end, when the fun stuff is figured out and we’re down to nitty grity details.

Congratulations to both of you what an accomplishment! Thank you for the reminder to enjoy the process I have a manuscript due on the 15th and I’ve been stressing a little…

7. Jana says

I need to slow down as I’m really good at achieving goals but I rish the process.

Cheers to that! I think it’s incredibly easy to get lost in the process and have it feel like a burden. So glad you found your path out of that and enjoyed the writing time!

9. Valerie says

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. I love the philosophy – “the transition is as important as the pose” – and since I first read it on your blog, I’ve embraced it as an illustration of how to live. I don’t always get there, but I try.

And I love that you’ve recovered your writing mojo. I’ve never co-written, but I know I never feel more alive than when I’m writing and the words are flowing. Sharing that with a like mind and kindred spirit must be nirvana! :-)

10. cheryl says

why I love just “getting out” more than the race I had signed up for…. (you do what you love no matter what the outcome/reward/end result).

THAT is the pure beauty of #wycwyc…. (or just 15 minutes)
    I, too, am in that feel happier and more content than I have in years! in many years!

As in yoga, the more you practice, the deeper into the flow of it you become, the more flexibility you can, and you find peace along the way! #wycwyc has done that for me!

xoxo

This is awesome. I spent a lot of my twenties saying “once *this thing* happens everything will perfect and right with the world, and I spent a lot of my time in the future, not enjoying the then.

I still do it sometimes, when I’m really looking forward to something (vacation, a race, etc), but I try to find the joy in what I’m doing currently (or at least, what I’ll be doing very soon) so I don’t spend so much time in the future.

So wise to enjoy the moment. I’ve GOT to figure out how to do that NOW!!! I seriously struggle with this, even knowing our moments are limited, with my hub’s stage 4 cancer diagnosis. Right now, he feels okay, life is sorta normal and I’m not enjoying it like I know I should. I fear regrets more than anything else.

That’s one of the most important things my acupuncturist pointed out with regards to meditation: it’s NOT about the end goal, it’s about the PROCESS and the JOURNEY.

I think that’s why I like editing so much. It kind of combines both the process and the end goal simultaneously!

But really, if I’m doing something and not enjoying the process, it’s generally a good indicator that I’m going about it the wrong way.

So excited for you two :)

I almost spit out my water as I read the last section. I thought your wrote TWERKING instead of TWEAKING. I just can’t picture you twerking. If you do, save it till after your deadline. ;-)

Steve Jobs used to frequently talk about the creative power of collaboration. I truly believe that the one-on-one and group dynamic brings out something new and different in everyone. It’s a beautiful thing.

WooHoo – I wondered how it was going and it sounds like it has gone really well!!! So exciting that tomorrow is the big day that you submit your manuscript – Congratulations for doing it and for enjoying it!!!